So my foray into asian cuisine continues! In the first episode of the 2nd season of Top Chef Canada 'Sarah Tsai' - a Taiwanese contestent - tried to make '3 cup Beef' which unfortunately ended up overcooked. Since my ethnic background is Taiwanese this immediately looked interesting to me. However when I looked online, I found that 3 cup Chicken is actually the traditional dish. 3 cup Beef must be Sarah's own variation of the dish. 3 cup stands for the 3 equal parts of soy sauce, sesame oil, and Chinese rice wine.
- 1 package of chicken thighs
- 1 package of chicken drum sticks
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Sesame Oil
- 1/4 cup Chinese Rice Wine
- 1 small red chile pepper, sliced up
- a couple of cloves of minced up garlic
- some sliced up ginger
- some basil leaves, chiffonaded
- In your wok, heat up the sesame oil on medium
- Saute the garlic, ginger and chile pepper in the oil until fragrant
- Turn up the heat a bit and then brown the chicken
- Stir in the cooking wine and soy sauce
- Bring down the heat, cover and simmer for 5 min
- Uncover and turn the chicken over.
- Continue cooking until the sauce is reduced a bit
- Stir in basil and serve!
It was pretty tasty! I was afraid that it would be really salty from the soy sauce but the fragrant sesame oil and the rice wine mellowed that out a lot.
I hope Sarah does well on Top Chef Canada. I'm hoping she'll keep introducing me to more Taiwanese food to try out!